[TowerTalk] My MFJ-259B annoys me.

Martin Sole msole at loxinfo.co.th
Mon Nov 1 03:35:33 EST 2004

Well sort of, sometimes. Trying to measure a 40m antenna today that I was
been playing with couple of weeks ago and now the readings on my 259 do not
agree with what I have in my notebook from before. Worse, putting it on my
quad which is pretty flat at the bottom ends of 20 15 and 10 metres now
shows a minimum of 3:1 SWR with 1 or 2 ohms of R and about 50 ohms of X. The
SWR meter is bouncing around so I guess this means I have a large cumulative
amount of RF getting into the 259. What to do? I could buy the 731 filter
but at $90 US plus shipping plus import duty plus VAT plus (worst of all)
waiting. This seems like a non starter for the time being. Looking at the
731 filter I wonder if it just a couple of parallel tuned circuits, one in
line and one shunt to the ground side. If so should be fairly simple to
knock one up and see, any thoughts?

73
Martin - HS0ZED