[TowerTalk] BPL interference

Tom Frenaye frenaye at direcway.com
Mon Nov 1 15:24:45 EST 2004

At 05:15 PM 10/30/2004, W9TM wrote:
>In these polarized political times, it is difficult to keep unrelated
>feelings regarding the presidential candidates from inappropriately becoming part of
>our ham radio discussions.  But having said that, before anyone assumes a vote
>for the incumbent is a vote for BPL, do some research.  You'll find on the
>Kerry's web page his total, unquestioning support for BPL.  It appears we have
>no anti-BPL candidate.

Actually, that isn't true.   A recent look at the web sites shows that both support rolling out broadband technologies, in general.

The 2004 Republican platform endorses BPL.  It isn't easy to find, but the 94-page document is online. On page 63 is the following sentence: "The promise of broadband over power lines and wireless Internet access provide new opportunities to connect households, schools, and businesses to the Internet."

The Democratic platform does not mention BPL.  The Democratic platform (which is 41 pages long) endorses universal broadband as an economic and employment stimulus but does not mention methods of achieving the goal.   More details are on the Kerry Web site, where wireless broadband is specifically mentioned as the way to do it.

I'd be happy to eat crow if W9TM can point me to his source.

In any case, I just hope every US ham over age 18 is going to vote tomorrow.   The more we participate in voting, the more effective we will be in getting politicians to listen to our issues.

                -- Tom

PS: Time to measure your noise levels now, before BPL comes to your neighborhood.  It would be a good addition to your station documentation - you know, that binder where you have information about antenna SWR curves, feedline lengths, control cable wiring, etc.

=====
e-mail: k1ki at arrl.org   ARRL New England Division Director  http://www.arrl.org/
Tom Frenaye, K1KI, P O Box J, West Suffield CT 06093 Phone: 860-668-5444