[TowerTalk] Conduit ends?

W1GOR W1GOR at Maine.RR.Com
Tue Nov 2 11:06:52 EST 2004

Paul,

Keeping the little critters out of the conduit can be done by using any of
several methods.   If you stuff the open spaces with common home insulation,
the majority of intruders will be kept out.  If you stuff the hole with
bronze or stainless-steel wool, available at many marine supply shops, there
aren't many pests that will be able to enter the conduit.

Another method is to buy an end cap to fit the conduit and drill clearance
holes for the cables in a straight line through the center of the cap.  Then
cut the cap in half, along the line of the holes.  Remove the burrs and
place the two halves around the cables.  Use a large hose clamp to hold the
split cap in place.  If you can't find a clamp large enough, you can combine
two or more clamps by fully unscrewing all of them, then re-assembling them
in 'series'.   I little caulking along the 'split' line will keep the
smallest critters out.

73, Larry - W1GOR

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Ash" <bluesdude at cfl.rr.com>
To: <towertalk at contesting.com>
Sent: Monday, November 01, 2004 8:11 PM
Subject: [TowerTalk] Conduit ends?

Hello All,

I have been considering running my coax, antenna
selector control cable and rotor control cable through a 3"-4"
inch conduit. I would like to get some opinions on the best
way to handle the ends that are projecting out of the ground.
I did read a former thread that talked about two 90 deg bends
(sounds good for water/rain.) what about bugs/rodents/varmints etc...
Anyone have a good idea how to seal the ends that would still provide
passage of the cables and could be removed with a minimum of effort
whenever it comes time to replace or add to the cables?

Thanks!

73,

Paul W4QG