[TowerTalk] New antenna system

Joe - WDØM WD0M at centurytel.net
Mon Nov 8 15:47:05 EST 2004

Hi Keith,

Yup - have to admit - I haven't built a transceiver/transmitter for many a
year, ergo, I'm an appliance operator.  Kits, yes, but not from
scratch.  As for antennas, I have 6 other antennas besides the SteppIR that
I have built, my latest being a Beverage for 160/80/40.

Perhaps you meant to say support is "critical" for the antenna?  I have to
agree - the Mosley Pro57B I had until recently was an antenna for which I
couldn't even get Mosley to respond to my request for assistance, even when
I called.  The quality control was abysmal -missing and bent parts, and
parts that would not fit.  Never had a problem with SteppIR - the guys are
absolutely fantastic - as I mentioned, they called me when they heard I had
a problem.

The SteppIR feed system is simply a balun at the driven element, with
stepper motors to move the element.  That's all that's in the box at the
antenna.  The controller does have a few electronic parts, but then so does
my alarm clock - and it's pretty reliable.  The controller simply drives
the stepper motor that moves the element.  I looked inside the element
boxes before I put them up, just to know what I would be dealing with.

Cheers,

Joe
WDØM