[TowerTalk] New antenna system-enjoy it

4x1ad 4x1ad at iarc.org
Mon Nov 8 16:23:33 EST 2004

OK Jerry. I love your enthusiasm about the SteppIr. It seems I'm an old
fashion guy. While it's clear that the Customer Service is wonderful,
antenna is radiating and  there are many satisfied hams, I still need little
bit more to fall in love with the SteppIr. For example, a technically
competent comparison between NEC4.x modeling of SteppIr against models from
F12, Optibeam etc. .  Also, a practical comparison made by someone who has
enough space, towers and motivation to test the SteppIr against other
antennas at same height and at same location at different paths and hours of
the day: in short, a consistent comparison over a reasonable time period. If
I good remember, few years ago I saw a K7LXC book  abot antenna comparison.

I also like very much the antenna manufacturers who gave apparently modest
gain and F/B figures while indicating the esential test set-up and
reference.

I will buy a SteppIr the day after they will add a lenght-adjustable boom
(just kidding).

I hope that the SteppIr life test has been done in real operating conditions
(both low/hi temperature and humidity cycles as per IEC 68-xx standards).
Note that I'm talking about testing at system level, not separate components
on special fixtures. I don't know any U.S. or EU amateur antenna
manufacturer with the ability and willing to perform such a costly and
lenghty test. Anyway, any Reliability/Product Integrity Engineer asked to
calculate the  reliability figures for a SteppIr system , will get the
Project manager close to a heart failure.

But life is stronger than the theory: the most important thing is that
antenna works and you're satisfied.
Enjoy it.

73
Morel