[TowerTalk] New antenna system

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 8 19:30:17 EST 2004

At 09:05 PM 11/8/2004 +0200, 4x1ad wrote:
>Jerry,
>

>Personally, I can't take too seriously the manufacturer claim that "a long
>boom is not needed to achieve near optimum gain and front to back ratios on
>20 - 10 meters since the SteppIR can control the element lengths" !!!!
>

>73
>Morel
>4X1AD

Actually, that particular question can be answered in a theoretical sense.
To a first order, if you know the approximate spacing of the elements, you
can determine the maximum achievable gain and the max front to back
ratio.  I would suspect that the SteppIR will get as close to the
theoretical limit as any other antenna with a similar number of elements
and made of similar materials.

Your other questions about longevity and moving parts are well taken, however.

Jim,
W6RMK