[TowerTalk] Ground rod sticker shock

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 9 17:11:25 EST 2004

At 01:28 PM 11/9/2004 -0800, Daron J. Wilson wrote:
>Sounds pretty good, wonder if you should share your 'experience' with
>the folks at the National Fire Protection Association, National
>Electrical Code, ANSI, IEEE, and all those kind of places?  There must
>be some reason they approve what they do, and it is usually due to a
>large amount of testing and evaluation.
>
>Sure, copper pipe might work fine, so long as your insurance agent is
>willing to pay out for your lightning damage even though your
>installation doesn't meet the recognized codes.  I dunno, it just isn't
>worth it to me.
>
>Daron J. Wilson, RCDD          ) )
>Telecom Manager               ( (
>LH Morris Electric, Inc.       ) )
>(541) 265-8067 office       _|****|  mmm!
>(541) 265-7652 fax         ( |    |  coffee!
>(541) 270-5886 cellular     \|    |
>daron.wilson at lhmorris.com    |____|

Copper pipe would be accepted under the code if properly
installed.  Without checking the code, off hand I would say that burying it
in a trench would meet the requirements.

If one is talking IEEE Std 142-1991 (the "green" book), chapter 4 goes into
a fair amount of detail about what is acceptable for grounding
electrodes.  What you are talking about with either ground rods or copper
pipe is called a "made electrode" (differentiated from using something
that's already there, such as well casings, piping, etc.). Section 4.2.2
talks about Driven Electrodes.  Then, there's the ever popular Concrete
Encased Electrode (aka the Ufer ground).  Finally, there's the 4.2.4 "other
electrodes" which refers to "buried metal strips, wires, or cables". "The
depth at which the strips are buried may not be critical.... Tests by the
NBS show that resistance decreases only about 5% when burial depth is
increased from 18 to 36 inches. Similarly, the effect of conductor size is
extremely small."

Section 4.3.1 talks about choice of rods and mentions that the reason for
copper coating is NOT to make a better contact with the soil (there's lots
of surface area), but to make a better contact with the (presumably) copper
grounding wire.

The code requires 8 buried feet, so the 10 foot standard rod gets you there
with 2 feet above ground to make the connection.