[TowerTalk] I have a really stupid question (baluns and ununs)

Rob Atkinson, K5UJ k5uj at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 12 14:44:31 EST 2004

Okay Thanks Tom and Jerry-- the key apparently is to keep the feed real
short in terms of wavelength, on the ant. side of the xformer.  This won't
be difficult to do on 1.9 mhz.  Then the characteristic Z of the feed
becomes insignificant as you are approaching 0 x 1/2 w.  Therefore, in
theory, i could get away with any unbal. feed (provided it handled the
power) if short enough, i.e. i could make something with disks holding a
center rod inside a copper pipe if I could machine a proper xfer from the
uhf female to the feed, and not even know the Z of the homebrew line.  Not
gg to do that, but just wanted to try to expand on the point for my
education.
I was thinking about this purely in terms of the mechanical aspect of the
connection; not wavelength.   Tower Talk comes through again and yes, the
male is always perfect.

73,
rob/k5uj