[TowerTalk] Re anniversary of vacuum tube

Jack Schuster w1wef at intergate.com
Tue Nov 16 22:06:14 EST 2004

You guys are bringing back memories...Terman, Middendorf, RCA tube manuals. I remember I was taking a speech class in my freshman year in 55 ...I think that's what the class was. Anyway, I gave a talk in class on transistors and demonstrated the low power consumption with my CK722 transistor audio oscillator powered by a battery made from a dime and a piece of paper wet with saliva. I also showed my Raytheon transistor radio which I had received as a high school graduation present. I had  built the audio oscillator while in high school when you could finally buy a CK722  transistor for $7.50, and would power it up in class and send code to my buddy, W1WEO across the room... I think 6146's sold for about the same price or less!   JACK W1WEF