[TowerTalk] 8X center migration in a coax choke?

Rob Atkinson, K5UJ k5uj at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 16 18:55:23 EST 2004

Hello folks:

I am considering making one or two chokes and using RG8X.  After digging
around on some of the contesting.com archives, I've seen several
recommendations to wrap the 8X on 4 or 4.5 inch PVC pipe.
The only 8X I can find is the stuff with the foam dialectric that is speced
with a bend radius of 2 inches.
It seems to me that the pipe everyone seems to use for 8X is a pretty tight
wrap.
I'd like to know if anyone makes a version of 8X with a solid dialectric,
or, if anyone has made a choke with this cable, on such a tightly wound
form, have you had a problem with the center migrating?
I can always use a wider form but I have to admit that the smaller pipe
would be easier to adapt.

Thanks,

Rob/K5UJ