[BULK] - Re: [TowerTalk] Vacuum tube 100 years old today

Gene Smar ersmar at comcast.net
Tue Nov 16 20:28:19 EST 2004

Folks:

     I believe we (The West and its Allies) even ridiculed the backwardness
of the then-Soviet design.  Imagine - vacuum tubes, of all things!

     However, when our Intel folks (the Govt agency, not the chip maker) got
through reverse-engineering the avionics, they found some solid state
devices in the bowels of the aircraft.  They concluded that the Soviets,
ever mindful of EMP and its effects on electronics, purposefully designed
the outward avionics with vacuum tubes - much less susceptible to EMP damage
than transistors!  The interiors of the craft were less vulnerable to EMP so
radio stuff located there could be made of ICs, etc.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F