[TowerTalk] 4 SQ arrays

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 19 14:00:52 EST 2004

At 04:51 PM 11/19/2004 +0100, Jan Erik Holm wrote:
>Now I see my error. I checked at .35 wl spacing
>and that will give about .5 wl on the diagonal.
>Don´t know why I wrote 1.5 wl and 2 wl below,
>my fingers are to fast for my brain.
>Anyway, at .35 spaceing the F/B doesn´t seem
>to get better, what I wrote below will happen.
>
>Jim SM2EKM
>-

Tiny fractions of a dB difference in forward gain (11.56 vs 12.04) Big
difference in F/R (20+ vs 10-15 dB)

I suspect that the "real" performance will be much more affected by the
changed mutual coupling with the elements at a different spacing. More to
the point, the different impedances will affect what phases that hybrid
really produces (and, if you're 0.25 WL from the center on the diagonal,
that means your feedline must be somewhat longer than the nominal .25 WL
called out in the Comtek instructions, so that's yet another factor that
would have to be considered.)

I haven't tried it, but it should be possible to model the Comtek box (or
any "Collins hybrid") in NEC with NT and/or LD cards. Then, you'd get all
the interactions properly modeled.