[TowerTalk] Rohn 65G

dennis o'connor k8do at mailblocks.com
Mon Nov 22 13:42:14 EST 2004

I have taken down a 270 foot tower with a crane...  the crane is your
path of least resistance and what it costs in money will be repaid
times ten in reduced sweat, time, and injury...  For picking up the
assembled tower, it will be snatched about 1/3 down from the top...
This leaves weight on the base as it is tipped upwards, and weight
outboard of the snatch point, reducing the bending moment in the center
of the tower to avoid tweaking it...
A single snatch point, down from the top, will leave it hanging at a
small angle... This is usually not a problem with pivot mount legs as
one or two legs can be set into alignment and then by booming sideways
the tower will tip to straight up...  If you have to drop the legs
straight down to couple to the base, then a higher snatch point will be
needed... My gut feeling is that 65 Rohn will tolerate that kind of
abuse in the hands of a skilled rigger...

Denny - k8do