[TowerTalk] Re: [CQ-Contest] TIC Ring Potentiometer Failure?

Tyler Stewart k3mm at comcast.net
Sun Nov 28 20:31:38 EST 2004

Yeah, what Barry said!

I've had lightning get them as well.  You can order replacement pots from
Mouser for about $8 last time I checked.  It's a 500 ohm 1/4" shaft 10 turn
pot.  Also get a fist ful of 11 V MOV's or something fairly low to put
across the  pot wires at both ends and some 50 V ones for the motor wires at
both ends.  They also have the indicator back light lamps if you need those,
but you might want to replace them with something a bit less expensive.

If water is getting your pots, do what you can to seal off the top of the
motor assembly using tape and/or caulk.

Other than the indicator pots and lightning hits, my rings (old 1022's) have
been extremely reliable.

Ty K3MM