[TowerTalk] Another Tailtwister question

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 29 21:31:40 EST 2004

At 07:39 PM 11/29/2004 -0500, Roger D Johnson wrote:
>Jim Lux wrote:
>>At 04:31 PM 11/29/2004 -0600, Bill Aycock wrote:
>>
>>>Barry- I think the Cap is really a phase control in the reversing
>>>circuit, not a starting Cap.. The value may be more critical than for
>>>starting. Check the manual.
>>>Bill

>Hi Barry....
>
>Many TailTwister users mount the capacitor at the rotor end. Electrical
>supply houses carry the caps, mounting bracket and weatherproof cover.
>This frees up two wires in the control cable which may be paralled with
>other wires to increase voltage to motor or brake.
>BTW the motor is a 2 phase unit and the capacitor is switched from one
>phase to the other to provide phase shift for CW or CCW rotation.
>
>73, Roger

Judging from the schematic I found at hy-gain's site, and the photo I saw
at another site, that's a motor start capacitor, being used in a motor run
kind of application (i.e. a reversible split phase motor).  However, since
an antenna rotator is normally a low duty cycle kind of operation, it's
probably ok.