[TowerTalk] ARR Preamp Failures

W0UN -- John Brosnahan shr at swtexas.net
Tue Oct 5 12:18:48 EDT 2004

One other thought comes to mind on this topic of preamp
failure.

TOWER-mounted (there, I said it) RF-switched preamps are
usually designed to work with a continuous carrier like FM.
When used with SSB they can "chatter" with the RF amplitude
variations--depending on the relay "hang time".

I don't know if K9YC's issues are with SSB operation, but
SSB is especially tough to do with RF switched preamps
with the constant variation of RF amplitude, causing the
detector circuitry to repeatedly drop out.

John  W0UN