[TowerTalk] Wilson 5 element 20 meter monobander

Mel mel.martin at axare.mail.net
Sun Oct 10 11:13:48 EDT 2004

>5 elements on 40 ft boom is one element to many for that boom length.

I hear this all the time... Yes 48' is better but with 5 el on 40 you can
get much better bandwidth performance than with 4 elements on the same boom
length. I think this misconception comes from the idea that you can get as
much gain on a 40' boom with 4 elements vs 5 elements. But with 5 elements
you can get better F/B and gain over a much broader freqency range.
Typically, best configuration is with a close spaced first director like the
OWA antennas.