[TowerTalk] Wilson 5 element 20 meter monobander

Joe Subich, K4IK k4ik at subich.com
Mon Oct 11 11:06:27 EDT 2004

> From: Mark - AA6DX
>
> What a diff 6 feet make ... had a Wilson DB54 with 40 foot
> boom, just was not as hot ..

The Wilson DB54 was a dual band 20/15 (5 el/4 el) antenna.  As
I recall the 20 meter elements were fairly evenly spaced to
provide "room" for the 15 meter elements.  As I recall, the
Wilson antennas also used gamma matches that were not the best
ever designed.

If it were modeled using modern software, I suspect the 20 meter
section would be far from optimum and the 15 meter elements
introduce destructive interaction.

YO shows a relatively insignificant .5 dB increase in gain between
optimized 5 element designs on 40 and 46 foot booms.

73,

   ... Joe, K4IK