[TowerTalk] Shields

Tom Rauch w8ji at contesting.com
Tue Oct 12 20:01:49 EDT 2004

 Re: Double shielding, usually it's not important at all.
However, there are
> applications where single shielded cables hardly work,
unless the shielding
> is solid, like hardline.  One such application is in a
duplex repeater
> system.   Another might be when your station is located
close to a high
> powered broadcast station. -WB2WIK/6

OK, now I'm on the same page (except for the repeaters,
because most duplexers have far less notch depth than you'd
ever have crosstalk through shields).

I agree now with the general concept. When you are doing
critical measurements in a screen room, you need exceptional
cable.

For a system connected to an antenna, you are wasting money
if you go out of the way to buy double shield. That agrees
with everything I've experienced.

73 Tom