[TowerTalk] Double shield

VR2BrettGraham vr2bg at harts.org.hk
Tue Oct 12 23:39:51 EDT 2004

W8JI brought a smile to my face with:

>OK, I'll bite on this hook.
>
>What is the reason everyone likes double shielded cable so
>much?

As he clearly was thinking what I was thinking & the reasons given
really don't apply in the typical amateur station context.

The "holes" in the braid of a piece of coaxial cable I see are often
bigger than that in a mesh surface of a dish receiving C-band, if
not Ku-band.  The mesh is like waveguide beyond cutoff & so are
the holes in the braid.

Sure doesn't look right & filling those holes somehow should certainly
make it better, or so we tend to think.

This is a good way to learn, so looking forward to the next one, Tom.

73, VR2BrettGraham