[TowerTalk] Disturbing tower picture in QST

Tower (K8RI) tower at rogerhalstead.com
Wed Oct 13 13:11:37 EDT 2004

Michael Urich wrote:

>On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 21:42:59 -0700, Jim Lux <jimlux at earthlink.net> wrote:
>

>>It's well known that the editing of QST, particularly images, doesn't really
>>take into account such things as safety.  Check out the pictures of the HV
>>power supply last year.  Clip leads, DMMs not rated for the voltage, wires
>>strewn all about, etc.

With all the *stuff* carry in the 4-Runner a radio velcroed to the dash
is the least of my worries.
Tool boxes, parts, lumber, steel, paint cans, solvent, books ....

BTW, That Velcro of the radio to the dash works well.
I had a GMC Jimmie pull out in front of my Trans Am.  I took him
broadside with hardly enough time to get my foot on the brake.  I figure
I was still doing 50 or better when I hit him.  It shortened up the TA
by a good foot and a half. Put the right front tire back under the dash
and the firewall back into the dash.  The impact blew out the windshield.

The Velcroed radio stayed in place on the dash. It was one of the few
things that did.  The inertia was enough to smash the mount flat, but
the Velcro still held it in place.  With enough area the strength in
shear mode is surprising.

Me?  I didn't even get hurt.  Punchy? You bet<LOL>  Bout as punchy as
chugging a 6-pack.  I wasn't even sore the next day.  Just a slight
bruise on the bridge of my nose where the air bags knocked my sun
glasses off.  At least there wasn't any argument as to whether to fix or
replace the car.

The kid who came out of the supermarket driveway with all 4 burning
wasn't quite so lucky.  It put him in the hospital with either a broken
collar bone or shoulder.  The only thing that saved his life was the
massive door pillar which is what put the right front tire back under my
dash.

>Mike wrote
>
>hehehehe, I think I have the trump card to this discussion.  If you
>think that's bad follow what some of the rovers do for the V/UHF
>contests.  I've seen too many pictures <some of them are on my
>web-site> of radios strapped into front seats, on dashboards etc with
>just bungee cords.  Talk about your missile hazards.

Although not the best of situations it's probably better than half the
cars on the road.  It's sure better than mine as far as all the stuff I
am usually hauling out to the airport or out to some job.  Just think of
3 or 4 full size computer tower cases along with monitors in back.  Now
there is some mass that I doubt a cargo net would stop.

I saw one "head on" where the spare tire went right through the back
seat from the trunk.  Guy survived too... Minus all his front teeth
though. Of course that was from taking a bite out of the steering wheel.

When it comes to cars/automobiles people get upset about firearms and
terrorism, but we kill off over 40,000 a year on the highways here in
the states.  I believe the figure was down to 42,000 plus change last
year from a high of around 47,000 a few years back.

--
Roger Halstead (K8RI ARRL Life Member)
Worlds Oldest Debonair (N833R S# CD-2)