[TowerTalk] Shields

VR2BrettGraham vr2bg at harts.org.hk
Wed Oct 13 19:33:51 EDT 2004

WB2WIK/6 added:

>Actually, in my experience using hardline or 100% (or at least very good
>double) shielded cables in VHF-UHF repeater systems and cavity interconnects
>in duplexers does make a difference, not necessarily in notch depth but in
>generated noise that can bother receivers.  I also see this "noise" issue
>when using many antenna designs that are perfect for simplex operation and
>stink in duplex operation with any power applied.  It seems the oxidation
>between shield strands, which is always there even with brand new cable and
>worsens with age, creates minute noise-generating interfaces (or something).
>I've put up repeaters using brand new mil-spec RG213/U and running 100W
>output power with a very good duplexer had desense problems resulting in
>poor receiver performance.  Replacing absolutely nothing in the system
>except the transmission line, going from 213 to 9913 or hardline or some
>other 100% shielded cable, completely eliminates the noise -- it's gone.
>This has happened to me so many times it cannot be coincidence.

<snip bit on clamped vs welded antenna construction>

With all the energy floating around hilltops, any diode action anywhere is
bound to bring grief.  Certainly sounds like the mechanism here & going
to better shielded cable might have simply gotten rid of a bunch of diodes
& not really improved things because of the greater amount of shielding.

Ditto for the antennas.  I can just imagine what sort of nasty joints there
are on some of our repeater antennas here, as it has been hard to spend
the money on the better ones & everything lives in a very moist, salty &
dirty atmosphere that eats into just about anything in short order.

73, VR2BrettGraham