[TowerTalk] Shields

Tower (K8RI) tower at rogerhalstead.com
Wed Oct 13 20:03:09 EDT 2004

VR2BrettGraham wrote:

> <snip>
> With all the energy floating around hilltops, any diode action
> anywhere is
> bound to bring grief.  Certainly sounds like the mechanism here & going
> to better shielded cable might have simply gotten rid of a bunch of
> diodes
> & not really improved things because of the greater amount of shielding.

Speaking of diode action:
Quite some years back we had the Midland (MI) repeater in my garage. It
eventually moved to the basement where the temperature was a bit more
stable. <:-))

At any rate, running a tad over 100 watts into the Heliax with the base
of the antenna at roughly 90 feet, you could walk up to any of the guy
lines near the anchors and completely wipe out a 50 watt mobile 3 to 5
miles away by just sliding a 10" screwdriver up and down the steel guy
line.

You couldn't hear the nose on FM, but you sure could on a regular
receiver.  The repeater would just go deaf.  Even flexing the silver
plated, double shielded coax at the cans would create substantial
noise/desense.

The cans had set without being adjusted for several years.  After that
long you could hear the bearings during a tune up. <:-))  We used a set
of 6 Band pass/band reject (notch) Wycoms.  You could get the things
within 3 to 6 db by ear with luck, but a spectrum analyzer turned that
into a piece of cake.  Of course a sweep generator was even nicer.  I
could always get at least 3 db better with the spectrum analyzer than by
ear.
Unfortunately there was a noise problem in the neighborhood that acted
like desense. We finally gave up and moved the repeater as we never did
find the source.

Roger Halstead (K8RI ARRL Life Member)
Worlds Oldest Debonair (N833R S# CD-2)
www.rogerhalstead.com