[TowerTalk] BPL

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Thu Oct 14 20:25:29 EDT 2004

If you guys are talking about Michael Copps, he has
been the lone dissenting voice on BPL since the
beginning. While I think his main concern has been that
electric rate payers might end up cross-subsidizing BPL
deployment and operation, he seems to be the one
commissioner who takes the FCC's role as a regulatory
body seriously. The other members (especially Adelstein)
have (at least in the past) been very dismissive of concerns
about interference. BTW, I was surprised to learn that
Copps was a democratic. He was one of the most vocal
proponents on the side of imposing really huges fines in
the Janet Jackson and Clear Channel (Bubba the Love
Spounge) decency cases. That standing struck me as that
of a staunch social conservative.  Regardless of his party
affiliation (and unlike some of these other members who
appear to be in bed with the business community), he really
seems to take his role as a regulator seriously.