[TowerTalk] Night climb

David Robbins K1TTT k1ttt at arrl.net
Fri Oct 15 07:50:57 EDT 2004

if one is touching the frayed cord or a tool with an internal short and
the tower you are directly in the path.  And since it is rather hard to
be up the tower without touching it you must be very sure any AC powered
tools you use are in good condition.  Personally I prefer to use battery
powered tools up a tower at any time, not only isn't there a problem
running a cord but there is no worry of shock hazard.  For night
climbing I have a pair of halogen fog lights mounted sideways on two
poles carrying feedlines to the tower.  Their wide flat beam provides
enough illumination for climbing and general work, then a large battery
powered light with cord and hook can provide task lighting if needed...
those head strap mounted lights would also be handy and are something I
would get if I were to contemplate doing night work again.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt at arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net