[TowerTalk] How to best determine the need for a balun

David Robbins K1TTT k1ttt at arrl.net
Sat Oct 16 07:38:30 EDT 2004

A 'balun' is used to go from 'BALanced' to 'UN-balanced' feed types.  A
1/4 wave vertical over a ground plane is already un-balanced and so it
coax so no, a balun is not what you need.  An rf choke on the feedline
may help to uncouple the shield from the radiation.  You may have some
rf on the shield that is messing up your swr meter reading.  It could
also be that when you were standing right at the feed point making your
measurement you increased the capacitance and dragged the resonant
frequency down a bit... to prove this try remeasuring at the feed point
and while measuring back away or squat down or wave your arms around and
see if the measurement changes... the fix in that case is to add more
radials, not a bad thing in any case.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt at arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net