[TowerTalk] Analyzer zero reactance

Tom Rauch w8ji at contesting.com
Mon Oct 18 07:19:01 EDT 2004

>          At resonance, X is not necessarily zero in R +
jX...it is
> only at a minimum.  From the MFJ manual (W8JI's words I
believe):

> "RESONANT FREQUENCY is where reactance is zero ohms, or in
some
> cases as close to zero ohms as the MFJ-259B indicates."

That wording is included for two reasons:

The analyzer is susceptible to external voltages. As little
as a few millivolts external voltage can make the analyzer
not read zero.

There also can be calibration problems. (For a period of
time every analyzer was actually calibrated incorrectly.)

Reactance should be zero at resonance but the meter might
not dip to zero fully.

73 Tom