[TowerTalk] Hustler mobile resonators dipole

Tom Rauch w8ji at contesting.com
Mon Oct 18 07:39:21 EDT 2004

>   Specifically, I have been thinking of using two 80 meter
> Hustler/Newtronics mobile resonators fastened back to back
in a dipole
> configuration. Only instead of putting them in the more
common horizontal
> configuration, I was wanting to orient them in the
vertical position.

Scott,

My suggestion would be you do something different.

You will have much poorer efficiency with a vertical dipole
of loaded elements compared to a similar height and coil
style antenna worked as a Marconi against a good ground
system.

 If you can, you might consider as large a ground system as
you can muster (as many straight radials as you can fit, or
a screen) and a Marconi antenna. You will have less ground
loss, less feedline radiation, wider bandwidth, and better
antenna efficiency if you keep the same overall height and
use the antenna as a Marconi. The only thing you have to do
that is more work is install a ground of some type.

A vertical dipole is workable, but decoupling the feedline
is a chore and the losses are pretty high with two mobile
antennas back-to-back.

73 Tom