[TowerTalk] Ground radials/elevated radials

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 22 10:34:58 EDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Yo3ctk" <yo3ctk at alltrom.ro>
To: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji at contesting.com>; <towertalk at contesting.com>
Sent: Friday, October 22, 2004 4:50 AM
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ground radials/elevated radials

> The same would hold true for elevated radials?

No.
Well... the advice of the more radials the better is sound, but when you
start looking for resonant lengths, etc. it gets much trickier.

When they were validating NEC-4, a fair amount of research was done at LLNL
(you can search their online archives to get the reports) on things like on
elevated radials over deteriorated buried radials, etc.  The upshot is that
NEC4 (and similar modeling codes) does a great job modeling, IF, and only
if, you've got a good representation of the earth properties, which
unfortunately, is very hard to come by.

If you don't know the earth properties, then modeling the radials as
straight wires above uniform ground is about as realistic as using that
model to represent radials laid over bushes and trees haphazardly. (the idea
being that bushes and trees cause small scale variations in the dielectric
properties around the antenna).