[TowerTalk] Ground radials/elevated radials

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 24 11:35:40 EDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Sundberg" <sm2cew at telia.com>
To: "Jim Lux" <jimlux at earthlink.net>
Cc: <towertalk at contesting.com>
Sent: Sunday, October 24, 2004 12:20 AM
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ground radials/elevated radials

> Thanks Jim!
>
> Your response tells me that even though radials are spread out under the
> vertical they need not be connected to have influence on the pattern. But
> surely there must be a substantial difference in performance between
having
> radials connected to the feeder or floating??

Sure, there's a difference.  The real problem is that it's very difficult to
determine what the difference is. And, whether it is "substantial".  They
did a bunch of tests back in the 80's with models and field tests to try and
look at things like "If you have a deteriorated set of ground radials,
what's the best/easiest/etc. fix?  Should you connect the elevated radials
to the ground radials? Is a ground stake a good idea in combination with
elevated radials (addressing the lightning protection issue)?"

When I read all the reports I get the feeling that there wasn't a good
answer.  Sometimes the model matched, sometimes it didn't, mostly because
there were too many unknowns.  Even in the field tests, sometimes it was
better with it connected, sometimes not.