[TowerTalk] Re: Thrust Bearing Usage

Doug Renwick ve5ra at sasktel.net
Mon Oct 25 16:00:37 EDT 2004

My experience differs...properly sized thrust bearing side screws ARE used
to support the weight of the mast and antennas at my QTH.  I have not had
any adverse reactions from using this method and it certainly simplifies
the process when having to change out a rotor.  Care must be taken when
using the words "never" and "always".

Doug

kb9cry at comcast.net wrote:

   So both are sharing the loads.  Also, the thrust bearing side screws are only
   used to center the mast in the bearing; they are never used to hold the weight
   of the assembly.  To change out the rotator I'll either use a come-a-long inside
   of the tower and jack up the mast or use a scissors jack on the top plate and
   jack up against the antenna boom to mast plate.  Gd luck, Phil  KB9CRY

--
Doug Renwick VA5DX
PO Box 50, Clavet, Saskatchewan, Canada S0K 0Y0
VE5RA at sasktel.net
First VE5 9BDXCC
What profit it a ham if he gains all the awards yet forfeits his soul?
I'll run the race and I will never be the same again.