[TowerTalk] Re: Thrust Bearing Usage

James C. Hall, MD nwtcc at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 26 13:55:13 EDT 2004

Hello:

I've been monitoring this interesting thread. I haven't had the need to
replace a rotor (yet) and I only have one thrust bearing on the top (flat)
plate. The rotor is 4 feet down the tower with the rest of the 20 foot C-M
mast and two beams above. It seems to me that if you lift the mast out of
the rotor and clamp it above the bearing, it will very much want to sway and
tilt with the better part of the weight above the tower. It seems you would
have to do some sort of stabilization just above the rotor to have a
fighting chance - a sort of faux bearing. Am I reading this correctly or is
my physics off ?

73, Jamie
WB4YDL