[TowerTalk] Mounting a 4x4 in concrete

Mike Switzer k8ze at charter.net
Wed Oct 27 07:53:04 EDT 2004

Derek

I would not use concrete to stabilize the 4x4s.  Use pressure treated
timbers (PT) with pee gravel.  This is how many decks are built.  Dig a hole
to depth, 4' sound like more than enough.  Put a couple of inches of pee
gravel in the bottom. Put the timber in the hole and plumb and brace the
timber.  Fill the hole around the timber with a few inches of pee gravel.
Tamp the gravel well around the timber and repeat until the hole if full.
This accomplishes both stability and allows water to drain away from the
timber.  I put a 10' timber in the ground using the method above.  I then
attached a 16' timber to the 10' with 3 carriage bolts.  I can remove the
upper and lower bolts and swing the timber down to untangle the tether if
necessary.

mike

k8ze