[TowerTalk] Mounting a 4x4 in concrete

Robert Moore ki6iv at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 27 15:50:15 EDT 2004

I have used this sytem for years, it works great.  No need for concrete, just tamp loose moist dirt very tightly around the 4X in the hole.  It will be very tight and last as long as you want to use it.  I have used this system for wood posts and metal pipes up to 25'.  The 4X's (either 4x4, 2x6, 4x6, depending what you have at the moment) 2-3' in the ground and 4' above.  I live in a windy area in the mountains with at times a good snow/ice load on the wires.............Bob, KI6IV

RICHARD BOYD <ke3q at msn.com> wrote:
I would think the on-concrete mount would work but you'll have to guy the
4x4.
Losing 4' of the height is not too big a deal for the theoretical
performance gain or loss you will experience. Putting the 4x4 in the ground
and in concrete should make a nice strong support.

Since you're trying to get every foot of height you can, you might want to
consider the old ARRL Handbook (or was it ARRL Antenna Book?) style of
support, where you add to the 4x4 in the ground a pair of 4x4s bolted
outside it, then another one bolted inside those two to get a lot more
height. And, if done right, maybe even using a boat winch, you can tilt it
over. With that sort of system and your fiberglass mast you could get up
pretty high.

73 - Rich, KE3Q