[TowerTalk] HF channel models?

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 6 17:45:31 EDT 2004

For the purposes of calculating directive antenna figures of merit, I'm
looking for halfway decent models for an ionospheric channel at HF.  I'm
particularly interested in spatial diversity/decorrelation effects I have
plenty of data and models for a single path, but I'm looking for pointers to
data/models that tells over what distance the paths are uncorrelated.
Programs like VOACAP give decent statistics, etc., but I'm looking for short
time scale models.

If anyone's interested, I've found some interesting papers on the spatial
and spectral distribution of HF noise.  An interesting paper from
C.J.Coleman in Australia creates an model by combining lightning
distribution maps with propagation estimates.

hawk.iszf.irk.ru/URSI2002/GAabstracts/papers/p0738.pdf

Jim, W6RMK