[TowerTalk] Modelling Dilemma

Terry Conboy n6ry at arrl.net
Thu Sep 9 22:26:05 EDT 2004

At 05:59 PM 2004-09-09, you wrote:
>Using EZNEC 2.0, I model a one-wavelength wire at 50 feet above real ground
>("normal"), and feed it at 50% from one end. I get a pattern that has
>nulls off
>the ends of the wire. If I change the feed point to 25% from that same end,
>the pattern has nulls off the sides ("normal" to the axis) of the wire.
>I didn't realize changing where an element is fed would alter its radiation
>pattern.
>I am plotting the "total" field in an azimuthal plot.
>I'd appreciate someone explaining why this happens or pointing me to some
>readily-available reference material.

Bert,

In the first case (50% point), what you have created is often called "Two
Half Waves in Phase".  It has a high impedance feed and if you look at the
currents, you'll see that they are indeed in phase, which is why you get a
nice broadside pattern.

In the second case (25% point), you have made a long wire antenna.  In a
long wire, currents alternate in phase by 180 degrees every half
wavelength.  In your case, you have two half-waves out of phase, which
produces a null normal to the wire.  The feed impedance is relatively low
(100 ohms or so) since you are feeding at a current loop.  If you make the
wire 2 wavelength long, and feed at 12.5% from one end, you will see that
the main lobes get closer to the ends of the wire and you pick up 2 side
lobes, too.

When I first got EZNEC, I stayed up all night playing with Roy's darn program!

73 Terry N6RY