[TowerTalk] Tower base design & ground systems

hdmc38 at bellsouth.net hdmc38 at bellsouth.net
Sun Sep 12 16:57:13 EDT 2004

Good afternoon fellow amateurs.

     With all the other problems that come with installing a tower,there is allways the building department just waiting to throw there 2 cents in,and with their hand out also.These problems should be solved as part of the design process,not after the tower's in the back yard waiting to be put up.All,and I mean all Building departments have their own ways of doing things.Doesn't mean their right or wrong thats just the way it is.My best suggesstion is to find someone that has dealt with you particular municipality and knows the people and process to secure permits.There is allways going to be a hiccup along the way,just remember it can be fixed.Now you might say all permits should be issued with equal requirments for all.That might be true in ARRL Heaven but not down here on the real world.Make some friends with the clerks,find a general contractor thats been down this road.And ALWAYS be polite.No screaming.That won't get you where you wan't to be.Remember the 1st guy who scr
 eams loses.It's an extreemly hard and teedious process to complete these projects.In Some municipalities its just not going to happen.You'll spend more money in court that you could have moved to a town where they allow towers.Keep your cool ,have a plan,be flexable,try not to argue.Some people just cant wait for a good fight.Go easy,it can be done.At this time I've never seen a permit for a tower issued without engineered plans.Put them in your budget.Good luck.

           Joe K4XZ

JOE PATRICK
SENIOR PLUMBING/MECHANICAL
INSPECTOR CITY OF BOYNTON BEACH