[TowerTalk] Grounding control cable/Rotator control box

Tom Rauch w8ji at contesting.com
Tue Sep 14 08:24:34 EDT 2004

> And I dare say, if you really believe there's anything in
those little
> gizmos you buy for $50, that I can't make myself from any
Radio Shack
> and my garage for less than half the price then you really
under
> estimate good old American know how.

Noel,

99% of the problem with lightning protection is how things
are laid out and implemented.
That especially includes the guts of those little boxes.

I've seen quite a few commercially manufactured lightning
protections devices that are actually not worth a flip
because they are not laid out correctly inside.

I'd be a little more comfortable if there were articles
about how to design a proper device and wire it properly.

By the way, my system takes several good whacks a year from
lightning. I have virtually no damage inside the buildings
and I never disconnect anything, and I have no commercial
lightning protection devices at all in my system. Long
before we heard of MOV's and gas pills, we had hundreds of
commercial BC and two way systems on the air through major
strikes without equipment problems.
The key to survival is mostly in the wiring and grounding.

73 Tom