[TowerTalk] verticals in woods vs. in a field

Tom Rauch W8JI at contesting.com
Wed Sep 15 15:45:11 EDT 2004

> Anyone have experience, anecdotal or otherwise, on the performance of a
> vertical "in the woods" versus in an open field?  I potentially have both
> options.  Especially with lots of radials, "in the woods" would not "use
up"
> my open fields as much -- I can keep them for livestock, crops, or towers
> with other antennas.  73 - Rich, KE3Q

I've been looking for measured data for years. The closest I've found is
from Roy Lewallen, and even it is somewhat suspect although it does indicate
dense woods cause very noticeable loss.What I wanted to do here was actually
install a vertical and measure FS before and after trees were removed.
Someday I might do that.

The problem of not having good measurements is we all tend to go by
feelings. It's pretty tough to notice several dB change by impression alone.
Look at the variation between antennas, such as the GAP, to a good trap
vertical. It can be as much as 5 or more dB, yet many people will swear by
the GAP.  That's because we usually can't see several dB change unless we do
a direct A-B comparison. Another example are the little mini-things that
claim 6dBd gain. Bad measurements or opinions are everywhere, that's how all
these magical patent-pending antennas get started and why notoriously poor
antennas have a market.

Maybe you can put two identical antennas up with one in the woods and one in
the clear and A-B them. That would be a good service to the community.
Myself, I don't like to take chances so I keep my verticals in the clear.

73 Tom