[TowerTalk] verticals in woods vs. in a field

Guy Olinger, K2AV olinger at bellsouth.net
Wed Sep 15 21:06:41 EDT 2004

I'm not sure the dielectric properties of such a poor conductor will
mean much. The dielectric of something touching a conductor is another
matter, but these are not "close" and the field around conductors
diminishes very quickly.

I went outside and took the sharp picks of my Fluke multimeter and
stuck them through the bark into the wet of several different kinds of
live trees. An oak measured over 1 meg across two feet vertical on the
trunk. One of my maples measured over 100K and interestingly did a
very slow charge like an electrolytic capacitor, measuring over 500K
after five minutes.

All you need is a multimeter with sharp enough prods to dig into the
wet layer of the tree.

If there isn't something in the tree that will allow a fair amount of
current, there won't be enough current to induce loss by the
dielectric properties. 50K or more ohms per foot not exactly conducive
to current.

73, Guy.