[TowerTalk] GPS receivers

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Thu Sep 16 23:33:05 EDT 2004

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 22:50:40 -0400, Steve wrote:

>HFTA

Aw cummon -- cut the acronyms -- what the heck is HFTA? If people
understood your question you might get more and better answers. :)

>The Help recommends use of a
>GPS receiver to determine lat/long for the site under analysis

That's kind of like going after a gnat with an elephant gun! There are a
LOT cheaper ways to figure out lat/lon coordinates (like looking at a
map, visiting various mapping sites on the internet, etc.).

What does this software do with the coordinates once it gets them?
Figure out great circle headings? They are an occasionally useful toy,
but they are not cheap -- you can buy a nice ham rig for what they cost.
I have an old Magellan that plugs into my Handspring and gives me
coordinates when I am traveling.  If you WANT to own a GPS, fine.
Otherwise save your money for something you really need.

Jim Brown  K9YC