[TowerTalk] Warning of verify messages

Tower (K8RI) tower at rogerhalstead.com
Fri Sep 17 02:12:34 EDT 2004

Several times I have recently received requests to the address I use only on
towertalk to verify messages to addresses I do not recognize.

This is one of the methods spammers use to verify addresses.  If these do
come from tower talk users, I do not respond to any requests for
verification and they are reported to my ISP if I do not recognize the
address, name, or can not trace the IP.  If the IP can not be traced they
will be reported.

The last one came with an attachment and a LINK to click on for
verification. This is not a safe thing to for any one to do and I can not
imagine a reputable company or service doing such.   I do not open
attachments either unless I know who they are from AND I am expecting
them/it.  If the attachment contains a post to the reflector, it should be
in the body and not as an attachment.

As a note, if any one is using a service like this it can result in the
address being black listed.

N833R, World's Oldest Debonair (S# CD-2)
www.rogerhalstead.com