[TowerTalk] GPS receivers

Dick Green WC1M wc1m at msn.com
Fri Sep 17 15:46:33 EDT 2004

Oops. I knew 6dB figured in there somewhere, but I thought it was due to a
dipole being 3dB over an isometric radiator in free space, then a dipole
over ground being 3 dB over a dipole in free space (i.e., 3dB + 3dB = 6 dB.)
Both recollections were wrong. The gain of a dipole over an isotropic
radiator in free space is 2.14 dB, while the far-field reflected wave adds
another 6dB, for a total of 8.4 dB.

That's what happens when I try to remember this stuff off the top of my
head. I should have checked the Antenna Book before hitting Enter!

73, Dick WC1M