Fw: [TowerTalk] Concrete anchors

Keith Dutson kjdutson at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 17 23:57:23 EDT 2004

I agree that elevated guys should be extra strong to avoid movement during
high winds.  I chose 8 foot steel pipe with three feet in the concrete.  The
pipe is 4.5 inches OD with .25 inch wall.  The three poles were hot dip
galvanized before installation.  Each is set in 4 yards of concrete
(overkill) and the pipe is filled with concrete to increase bending
resistance.  I was able to observe the windward pole during a squall that
had 70 MPH gusts at the top of the tower.  There was no apparent flex at the
top.  The guys are pre-loaded at 600 PSI.  The tower is 150 feet of Rohn
45G.

Here are a few shots of one of the poles.  One of the snapshots shows an
apparent bend, but this is just an aberration of the camera lens.

http://www.dutson.net/transfer/HamRadio/TowerGuys/

Keith NM5G