[TowerTalk] 80 Meter Cage Antenna

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 19 23:07:00 EDT 2004

Cage elements basically make a large diameter element, which increases the
bandwidth (which is largely determined by the length/diameter ratio).
Nothing special or exotic about them. You need some sort of spreader to hold
the wires apart.  If you've got lots of wire around, it's a great idea.
Indeed, the "resonant length" will be different from a single wire.  You
could probably do something where most of hte antenna is a cage and it has a
stub on the end that's a single wire you tune, although that might  have
some problems (probably, you'd be better off with the stubs in the middle..
you'd more closely approximate a conical element, which has very wide
bandwidth (think discone)).

The trick will be in the mechanical aspects.  If the "overall diameter" of
the cage changes, the resonant frequency will change, so you''ve got to give
some thought to the spreaders.  You can also just spread it in one
dimension, rather than putting them in a circle. Think of those UHF bowtie
antennas that clip on the back of the TV, or which are in front of a corner
reflector.