[Fwd: [TowerTalk] GPS receivers]

Michael Urich ka5cvh at gmail.com
Mon Sep 20 09:08:32 EDT 2004

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 07:52:50 -0500, Jim Brown <jim at audiosystemsgroup.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 15:48:39 -0400, Steve wrote:

> My friends who claim to be educated in matters of GPS say that
> because of the manner in which the system is modulated for security
> reasons, consumer units are limited to accuracy on the order of several
> meters in plan and tens of meters of elevation. A search on google for
> GPS accuracy a year or so ago appeared to confirm that my friends
> were correct.

Mike wrote

My Magellan 315 seems to be within +/- 3 meters on elevation when
compared to mountain pass signs in West TX.  And using Dec values of
Lat-Lon it will regularly repeat down to the 5th decimal place.
Sometimes you just have to stop long enough <a couple of minutes max>
for it to fully settle out and getting it away from any vehicle by
several meters will give you the most accurate readings.
--
Mike Urich, KA5CVH
http://ka5cvh.com

Character = How you treat people who can do nothing for you in return!