[TowerTalk] Delta Loop Info and Opinions?

Tim Makins, EI8IC contesting at eircom.net
Tue Sep 21 11:13:19 EDT 2004

Well I wasn't trying to imply that we could get something for nothing here -
rather,  I was interested in this particular design, one that we never hear
much about on Towertalk, and wondered if anyone had any experience of it,
good or bad, or had done any modelling.

Compared to a cubical quad, it would seem rather easier to build, once you
have got past the mounting arrangements at the bottom of the vee - I'm not
sure if in the photos they are electrically clamped to the boom or not ?

I guess you could also make it with bamboos or quad-spreaders as the
verticals, or use aluminium tubing if available.

I suppose the windage would be higher than a Yagi, though this doesn't
concern VK4VKD who has it on a hazer-style platform on one of his 'One Man
Towers'. It would also seem easier to work on than a quad if you had it on a
hazer, as the boom would come right down to ground-level.

Les Moxon's Antenna Book shows a similar element on p153 - he notes that the
effective height is roughly 1/4 wavelength higher than the support, which
might be useful.

73s Tim EI8IC
www.mapability.com/ei8ic
Free Prefix and APRS maps.