[TowerTalk] Re: gain specifications (was CobWebb antennas)

corneliuspaul at gmx.net corneliuspaul at gmx.net
Thu Sep 23 07:41:32 EDT 2004

Very well said Mike,

unfortunately it is a true work of art in confusing customers
and claiming gain that is simply not there .. while at the same
time keeping a door open to always withdraw from false
statements.
Which really is a pity because for what it is (a folded multiband
dipole) I am sure this antenna will work quite well !!

Oh my.
When will we finally come to honest gain specifications?
Several honest manufacturers do it, but still more don't...

To get better judgement over those claims I can only urge
people to

- read the tribander comparison report by K7LXC / N0AX
- and check W4RNLs attempt at defining the UPPER limits
of what is possible for 2 or 3el Yagis by the laws of physics.
(Its called "some pitfalls of careless dBd-ing: http://www.cebik.com/dbd.html)

How about putting together a website that deals only with this
subject and expands those definitions by W4RNL further, thus
aiding people into better judgement of false claims?

73,
Con DF4SA