[TowerTalk] RE: Tower Climbing Gear

Larry Ledlow, Jr. N1TX n1tx at amsat.org
Sat Sep 25 13:39:21 EDT 2004

I like the full body harness myself.  A single belt has always made me
queasy.  Actually, I think the OSHA requirement is to use a full harness if
the free-fall potential is greater than two feet.  Yes, two feet.

One link I think I forgot to emphasize in my previous message is to the
National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health
(http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/2001156.html) It's a good starting point and is
also available in Spanish
(http://www.cdc.gov/spanish/niosh/docs/2001156sp.html)

Gin pole use has been a standard tool for hams for a long time.  However, it
is also one of the most widely misused items in the kit.  I have heard NATE
and TIA/EIA are developing or have developed some standards for gin pole
use.  If anyone knows specific details, I'd like to hear.

73 Larry KL7/N1TX