[TowerTalk] Restrictions v. rural life and towers

Cqtestk4xs at aol.com Cqtestk4xs at aol.com
Sun Sep 26 07:30:40 EDT 2004

In a message dated 9/26/04 2:26:14 AM Greenwich Standard Time,
k5uj at hotmail.com writes:

my  advice Mike,

put up every tower and antenna you are ever going to want  to put up now
while you still can.

Excellent advice.  My 200 footers have been up about 6 or 7  years.  All
hassles from the county ended in 1998.  All had been quiet  until some nitwit
moved on a lot adjacent to mine.  He bought the lot  knowing ahead of time the
towers were there.

Several months after he moved in he complained to the county, with the  usual
shopping list of complaints....ruins the view, dangerous, why so big, used
for commercial and so forth.  Obviously, the guy had some connections,  because
the county code violations people came trotting out (the same people who
check for junk cars and illegal fences).  They informed me I would need to  take
the towers down.  My response was as you would expect.  I told  them I had
fought this battle with the county six years ago and the county had  agreed there
was no problem with the towers.  They said they would check  and let me know.
 A week later, the inspector called and told me, not only  were they
dismissing the complaint, but would tell anyone who called in the  future that there
was no problem.

I am still amazed that the guy who moved in next to the towers would have
the brass to complain, but the story had a happy ending.  Had I put up the
towers with this guy as a neighbor, I think I would have had more harassment  when
erecting them.

Moral......put them up now.  You may not have a chance, later.   Back to
watching my antennas swinging around in the hurricane...so far, so good  with
Jeanne.

Bill K4XS